This is some dramatic stuff and there are some things that need to be said. First of all, I dont see why she needed to raise the money to begin with. Her husband could of easily afforded it himself if it really was so life and death. Also, the forged signature that everyone is so shocks about isnt even that big of a deal. "Mrs. Helmer, you obviously dont realize what you've been guilty of." It seems a bit over the top. I guarantee at least one person you know has done it before for school or something. Why do they find it sp horrifying? And why is Krogstad trying to move on from the past so bad?
The relationship between Torvald and Nora is very interesting. I didn't realize they were married until Mrs. Santos pointed it out and it is a little weird. I understand the social norms of the time but it seems more like she is his child, which is not only weird but creepy. He talks down to her in such an annoying way. "So my little obstinate one's out of her depth..." This doesn't seem appropriate. Why does he talk to her like this when it seems no one else thinks of her as being that inferior?
I will be editing it later to add vocab words because I cant find my copy of the list and some pictures that are on my computer. Have a nice whatever.
-Gordon


indeed gordon there are some really dramatic things going on like their relationship and such. -seth
ReplyDeleteI agree that Torvald could have easily afforded the trip himself. But, from Nora's perspective, the trip was for him so she didn't want him to pay for it and Torvald doesn't like borrowing money... that's what leads her to get the money herself.
ReplyDeleteAnswering your question, I think Helmer talks to her in that form because at that time men were the breadwinners and woman stood at home and obeyed their husband while attending their every need. Knowing how he earns all the money he feels more superior and enjoys displaying it when he talks to his wife. Also, I do agree that their relationship isn't normal.
ReplyDeleteThere are many things I would like to point out but I've decided just to answer one question of yours pertaining to Krogstad and why he wants to move on from his past so badly (because if I answered the majority of your questions it would look like I was typing up an essay). It's understandable as to why Krogstad would want to redeem himself so much, it is (in a sense of) self worth, pride, and even honor. If you were on a path or "journey to success" or redemption but were to fall off that path because of a past mistake, wouldn't you try to get back on the path (like Krogstad)?
ReplyDeleteWell to be honest (I talk about this topic more on my own blog) I initially thought Nora and Helmer's relationship was just the type of relationship to call each other endearing nicknames or be sarcastic with each other. I didn't really get the vibe of their relationship being as disturbing as everyone made it out to be. But I still can't say I think that way now after reading further into it. (P.S. I will have a nice whatever, thank you.)
ReplyDeleteWhen you mentioned Torvald and Nora's relationship, it seemed to me like you were a bit one-sided in your analysis. While yes, Torvald's creepy fascination with identifying Nora as different mammals isn't really appropriate, it is definitely two-sided. Nora does not discourage Torvald from this, and actually somewhat indirectly encourages him through her facade of low knowledge and utter dependence.
ReplyDeleteCommented on Miss Hannah Quintana's ,Mr. Joshua Cenit's and Mr. James Goldstein's blogs
ReplyDelete